Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
The post is a permanent way design engineer working within a multidisciplinary team delivering a portfolio of exciting, varied rail projects as part of an established and expanding Rail Business.
The permanent way team is part of the North West and Yorkshire Rail team, comprising over 50 lively and enthusiastic engineers, designers and technicians based mainly in the Manchester and York offices, which hold approximately 180 and 25 respectively. These offices operate across several Arup multidisciplinary businesses and work closely with other large sub regional offices in Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield, and with other relevant Arup railway teams in Birmingham, Glasgow and Bristol. Within the team we have a wealth of experience of railway design, construction, installation and commissioning in the UK and Overseas.
The position offers scope for personal skill development, especially in relation to increasing track engineering and design management expertise. The focus will be on developing existing design skills and experience of managing track design tasks, in a stimulating and challenging project environment, and so enhancing Arup’s overall track and rail capability. There are also opportunities for short-term placements in other offices, including overseas.
· To provide excellent track design capability to track and other rail projects.
· To provide high quality engineering skills and technical knowledge of track engineering, within an environment of high quality and timeliness.
· To integrate with colleagues and operate with enthusiasm and a sense of purpose for the successful delivery of projects, the rail business, and Arup.
· Responsible for the production or checking of detailed track designs and calculations within an implementation project comprising track renewals, or track modifications resulting from other Railway asset renewals.
· Also responsible for outline and detailed track engineering design input and calculations (concepts/ track design principles) to multidisciplinary design teams on other large or medium sized projects.
· Work content includes the production or checking of preliminary and detailed track layouts, technical studies and reports, generation and evaluation of technical design options, design calculations and analysis, and interfacing with other disciplines.
· Responsible for own tasks and tasks of team to agreed timescales.
· Mainly able to work with minimum supervision.
· Responsible for some “on the job” mentoring and skill development of track designers, track technicians and graduate engineers under training, providing guidance, training and feedback
· Appropriate degree, HND or higher qualification and ideally a member of (or working towards) the Permanent Way Institution and ICE.
· Hands-on experience of production and checking of outline and detailed track designs and calculations
· Experience in the use of track software packages (MicroStation, InRail, TerraModelling, etc)
· Good underpinning knowledge of track engineering design principles, standards, components, and fabrication methods
· Experience of Plain Line, Switch & Crossings and Hallade design and of other track engineering components (Drainage, formation, etc) preferred.
· Understanding of railway track systems, (and the key interactions between other railway assets), and with railway operating practices preferred.
· Good team player and supportive of the other rail disciplines.
· Highly motivated and with a desire to tackle interesting problems with the opportunity of finding innovative solutions.
What we’re looking for in you:
You will be passionate & commercially aware with a sound technical knowledge enabling you to be an integral part of our Rail team. You will have great communication skills and be able to demonstrate highly effective networking skills.
Rewards & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits package in our sector. Core benefits include Private Medical Insurance, Life Assurance, Accident Assurance and Income Protection cover. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefit Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice benefits to help you with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share Scheme where employees could receive two Profit Share payments per year.
Arup is a place where creativity, innovation and exciting technical challenges are always possible; we are part of a team that enjoys what they do, embracing a unique culture. As a global firm we can develop careers in the UK or abroad through international assignments, and our commitment to training and development is fundamental to ensure we continue to develop our staff and look to the future requirements of our clients.
If you share our passion, why not talk to us about a rewarding career with Arup?
OLE Senior or Principal Design Engineer – York Arcadis is the leading global Design & Consultancy firm for natural and...Apply For This Job
Senior/Principal E&P Design Engineer – London ARCADIS is the leading global natural and built asset design and consultancy firm working...Apply For This Job